Being the optimist that I am I decided to plan a wonderful and productive daily summer routine for my kids this year. Here is what I scheduled:
By 9 AM we would be up and ready for our daily exercise. This would include a brisk 2 mile walk around the river, or a 1 mile jog around Freeman park(to get the kids and me in shape for a race coming up), or a bike ride, or a meeting at the church gym to play basketball etc...you get the idea.
When we get back we'd do our daily chores which mostly consist of dishes and picking up toys.
The kids would then get a free time to play video games or watch TV.
After lunch we would pull a family chore from the chore jar. This would be something like, "Clean out one of your dresser drawers", or "vacuum one room each"
At 2 we would have a manditory "20 minutes reading time" so the kids could earn prizes at the library summer reading club that I signed them all up for.
Then they could have friends over or play games until dinner time. From then we would have a regular evening like we have during the school year, Clint's home, the kids play, watch TV, I get dinner ready, we eat etc.
Doesn't that sound wonderful and productive? Some days we'd do something fun like go to a movie or swim. Great.
Well here's what really happens...
by 9 AM the kids wake me up with their fighting about who's turn it is to play the X-box. I stumble out of bed and feed the cat, and the goose, and the kids, and myself. I consider taking a shower but then think, "No, I'm going to exercise first". Then admist the noise of the bombs going off on the video games and the kids arguing, I start a load of laundry and look miserably around the messy house wondering where to start and decide to crawl back into bed. The kids take turns playing on the Wii, the computer, the gameboys, and the x-box. They invite friends over and play to their heart's content while I pick up around them, feed them, clothe them(at least I try to get them to change), and every once in awhile I'll sit down and read my book for 20 minutes. Finally I get into the shower at about 4, when I realize I won't have time to exercise today. So much for my great plans right? We've only been out of school for a week...sigh.
Dad.
6 years ago

8 comments:
Sounds like a great schedule! Don't give up. It's only been a week! I think it helps to have a schedule to keep things on track. Then you actually feel like you've gotten something done. You've inspired me! I'm going to set up a schedule for us, even though my kids aren't in school yet. Maybe I'll be more productive...that's a BIG maybe...: ) If your kids ever get bored, send them on over. Spencer would love to play!
Oh finally! Someone who feels like me! Hang in there, Melanie! I think you guys are great! Here's an "A" for effort! Keep your chin up! I love the kids being home. But, I try not to allow the boredom (from them because I'm DEFINITELY NOT bored) to take them over. Today, they got out all the old magazines I saved and had a "cut and pasting" party. This is of course after their jobs were done. Maybe we should get together and see if we can find some fun activities for the kids to do. Maybe once or twice a month. Would that relieve stress? Let me know!
Melanie, Melanie, Melanie...not to worry a bit. The Wii IS exercise, so count that...you doing laundry and cleaning up? Ope, EXERCISE, so count that...You are reading for 20 minutes, so go back to the library and cross your kids names off the list of the reading program, and put your name on there! See, in the big scheme of things, you're getting much more done in the day than you think! Oh and please, shower?? Who does that EVERY day? :)
I feel you pain! I too had a great schedule that lasted about 2 days. But don't give up! It's already too hot here for our outdoor exercise, so I'm trying to figure out how to replace that activity... I think one of the keys would be for me to get to bed earlier, so that I'm ready to get up and greet the day! I've decided this type of schedule takes a lot of self-discipline.
Sounds like our house. I go through this every summer! This year I decided not to make up any schedule at all. My only rule is no t.v./computer/Wii until after lunch and after daily chores are done. It has made for fairly peaceful (when they aren't arguing) quite mornings. They don't love it, but it has made for a more relaxed summer for all of us, or maybe just me because I'm not stressing out over the fabulous schedule that no one is following. :)
sounds like we need to move back. I'm on my way!!!! don't give up melanie...you can do it. I love you!
Mandy
That sounds just like the first week of our summer. Luckily, summer school is now in session. Phew!
:) I've been there. Well, sort of. That's one of the reasons why we don't do video games of any kind. But when we had cable it was pretty bad. Now that that's gone, things run pretty smoothly. Today the little ones spent the day with read along books on cassette. I haven't seen some of them for HOURS!
:O
Post a Comment