Monday, May 19, 2008

Running with Angels



What a wonderful experience we had on Saturday! First of all, Little Josh was determined to win the race. He just knew he was going to. He started out really strong...I lost sight of him in the crowd of over 750 people. I saw him as he rounded a bend and came back towards me.

I cheered him on and saw him burst into "Super Speed". Poor little guy thought he had to speed up any time someone cheered for him. He lasted about a mile and then he got a stitch in his side and just couldn't go on. Luckily uncle Chad was there and took him over to the van, gave him some juice, and let him watch part of "Fraggle Rock" After about 45 minutes Chad took him over to the finish line so he could cross it. Josh tells everyone he came in second place. I thought that was such a cute adventure for him.
Michael did so well. He had to stop a few times to catch his breath, but he crossed the finish line more than a minute ahead of me. He was 14th in his age group of 11 and under(out of more than 30 kids). It was such a great confidence booster for him. I was so proud of him! Angie was my running buddy. She stayed with me through the whole race. We kept a steady pace until the last hill. I faltered and had to walk a little bit. Angie slowed down for me(she didn't stop running), and we were able to cross the finish line together. Thanks for staying with me Angie!!(By the way, Angie is over 4 months pregnant...what a woman!) Our time was 38 minutes! I averaged 12:33 minute miles, which is my personal best. I felt really good about it. The very last people to cross the finish line were Grandma Bonnie, her sister Gaylene, and Sarah and Emma. They had had a wonderful time walking through the beautiful park. They took time to stop and take pictures, and they really enjoyed themselves. I will post some of those pictures once I get them! They were very cute. Thanks to them being last, most of us walked away with a give-away prize because everyone else had gone home. Isn't that funny? I won a book entitled "The 13th Reality" which can be found at Deseret Book.(I'd been wanting it actually!) Josh and Michael won free passes to miniature golf(in Utah), Angie and Bonnie also won prizes. In all we had a great time.

I thought I'd throw this picture in. The kids had a lovely bubble bath later that evening.

On Sunday we went to Sacrament with Chad and Angie, then stopped off at John and Claire's for a yummy dinner. I don't have pictures of that visit because my camera battery was dead. Then had a safe drive home.

3 comments:

Julia said...

Wow! Way to go!

The Francis Family said...

Thanks for coming down for the race. You did great, and the boys too. Grace just loved having your kids down and we can't wait to visit.

Pirate Princess said...

Sounds fabulous - where did you go?

So glad the boys had a positive experience - and that bubble bath looks the bomb!