Friday, August 15, 2008

Not for the squeamish

Josh lost a tooth today. He gets kind of obssessed about these kinds of things and so for the last 2 days that's all I've heard. "Mom, look at my tooth now!" "Mom, do you think my tooth will come out soon?" "Mom, see how I can wiggle it with just my tongue?" And on, and on, and on....Then, I get to try to help him pull it out. Now there's a reason I didn't go into nursing or anything that deals with blood and gore. I'm squeamish when it comes to pain, or things that I think should be painful, or bloody. But, like a good mom, I watched his bloody tooth dangling there, and tried to help him pull it out, with my own fingers I might add.
I watched him try to pull it out himself, through squinted eyes. And when it did come out, I celebrated with him! Now I've just got to remember that the tooth fairy needs to come tonight!But all this is nothing compared to what I did for our cat! She'd gotten into a fight a couple of weeks ago and her eye swelled(is that a word?) up really bad just before we left on the Trek. We had to wait until the next week to take her to the vet. Unfortunately, the day before our vet appointment her sore broke open and started draining puss and infection. Actually, oozing is a better word. The top of her head had grown a lump on it, which turned out to be more puss. I sat with her on the back steps with a wet washcloth wiping the ooze out of her eye, trying hard not to throw up because if any of you have had the pleasure of cleaning up infectious wounds, you know how stinky they are. Ugh! I still shiver at the thought of it. I think most of it drained that night(right before a dinner that I didn't eat). The vet drained the rest of it the next day and here's her picture AFTER the vet.She seems to be healing well and I'm so glad for that! The vet wants me to keep scabs off the sore for 10 days by putting hydrogen peroxide on it. I do put the stuff on it, but I'm not rubbing any scabs off. I've done enough for one wound.

5 comments:

Claire said...

I'm glad you have that mom super power that is able to handle all the the not so pleasant things in life. I hope I get that super power when I'm a mom too. Way to handle all of the commotion!

Anonymous said...

T. lost her 1st tooth yesterday! I was actually sad about it. I'm not ready for her to grow up!

Kristee and Jared said...

Wow! You're a better woman than I. The kid and a tooth would be hard enough for me! Congrats Caleb on losing a tooth.

So good to see what you guys are up to.

Pirate Princess said...

lol! I love pulling teeth! It's a big thing around here...

Poor kitty. Hope she gets better soon. :)

The Francis Family said...

Congrats Josh!! Mel, I feel the same way about your "medical" experiences - I'm queezy. I love that you are taking such good care of the cat too. You can't help it. I know as women we are all suppost to have that nurturing thing, but you are off the charts.