Friday, April 4, 2008

running woes

It's been awhile because I got pretty sick with a flu/cold and am still trying to feel my best! I have to say my 5k training has suffered! Let me just say that I have never been a runner. In junior high I ran hurdles because I wasn't fast enough to run the sprints, but had no endurance for the longer races. So this goal of mine to run a 5k is suprising to me. I'd much rather bike, but my 20 year old Huffy needs a lot of work, and other than good shoes you don't need running equipment. The past few months I've been running in our church gym. Supposedly 18 laps equals 1 mile. Our little running group would run for 30 minutes and get at least 56 laps in! I was feeling so good about my success! And then I got sick. When I felt like I'd recovered enough to run, the weather was nice so I tried an outside run. 6 times around the church building equals 1 mile. Piece of cake right?! I barely made 3 times around the church(1/2 mile) before nearly passing out, and it took me 10 minutes!! Boy was I disappointed. Clint was so kind though and gave me lots of excuses. Mostly, I've been sick, and also it's a lot different running outside than in. I guess we'll need to take more of our training outdoors girls!

7 comments:

Robert Sullivan said...

You should be proud of yourself! You guys amaze me! I can't wait til after the baby so I can join in the running group. By then you guys will be so good, I'll probably get left in the dust! :) Making a playlist is super easy. I think you just go to playlist.com and make a free profile. Then you type in an artist or title and add it to a playlist. They have tons of music! Then you can get a code to add it to your blog. Call me if you have troubles!

The Francis Family said...

A cold knocks you out. Even after I go on vacation and come back to the gym, everything is twice as hard - especially running. Clint is right with the running outside is different than inside. You have to find a new pace. Running is hard. You are doing it and will get better and better. I haven't ran in about 2 weeks (bad cold) so I will literally be in your shoes. Good luck to us both!

Pirate Princess said...

Take it wasy - you're doing great!

Pirate Princess said...

oops - that's supposed to say "easy"...

Emily said...

Way to go on the running! Clint is totally right though, after being sick it is so hard to get going again. It's just going to get warmer too and then it will be nicer to run outside.

Hillman Family said...

Don't get discouraged! You are doing great and we still have two months. I think you're right, as soon as possible we should run outside. In fact, it's suppose to be nice on Saturday. How about switching Friday to Saturday this week? Oh, before I forget... playlists:It's really easy. Go to playlist.com This site lets you search for practically any song, add it to a playlist and save it. Then you just copy and paste the java script code it gives you into your blog (on the section that lets you add new elements). It gives instructions to make it easy. Ours
is really eclectic, but its fun. See you tomorrow-- I think I'll do ladders

. said...

i think you're awesome- you consistently run (which is way more than i can say for myself lately). you are definitely our fearless leader!!!